1. Begin by preheating the oven to 190°C (170°C fan/gas mark 5) and lining a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
2. Tip the flour, salt, baking powder and mixed spice into a large bowl and loosely mix them together.
3. Add the butter, rubbing it into the dry ingredients with your fingers until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
4. Sift the sugar into the bowl, before adding the fruit and stirring both through the mixture with your fingers.
5. Crack the egg into a separate bowl and whisk lightly with a fork, before adding it to the flour mixture.
6. Finally add the milk, combining all of the ingredients thoroughly, until they form a stiff dough.
7. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions, placing each scoop onto the lined baking tray and allowing room for spreading. Finally, sprinkle a pinch of golden granulated sugar on top of each one.
8. Bake the rock cakes in the oven for around 25 minutes, until golden brown.
In our opinion, rock cakes are best enjoyed warm from the oven, but they can be kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.