1. Begin by heating a tablespoon of the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3–5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
2. Reduce to a low heat and add the garlic, cooking for another minute. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Drain both tins of beans into a colander and rinse under a cold tap.
4. Tip the beans into your food processor and pulse to a rough, chunky mash.
5. Transfer the mixture into a large bowl, adding the onion and garlic mixture, as well as the beetroot, tomato paste, smoked paprika, chilli powder, breadcrumbs and egg, and mix thoroughly to combine. Season with plenty of salt and pepper.
6. Divide the mixture into six portions and shape each one into a burger, placing them on a greaseproof paper lined baking sheet.
7. Place your burgers in the freezer for around 30 minutes to chill.
8. Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the burgers over a medium heat for around 4–5 minutes on each side, until fully cooked through.
9. Serve your Spicy Bean Burgers in my Lightly Floured Burger Buns, with your choice trimmings.
Rounding off three weeks of barbecue favourites, this week Mr Baker is back with his favourite Spicy Bean Burger recipe. Combine them with our Lightly Floured Burger Buns and our Juicy Beef Burgers for a barbecue menu that the entire family can enjoy. Don’t forget to top your Spicy Bean Burgers with all of your favourite trimmings…