1. Begin by creaming together the butter, golden caster sugar and soft dark brown sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
2. Next, add the vanilla extract and eggs, mixing until combined.
3. Finally, sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
4. Set your cookie dough mix aside and use a sharp knife to slice up your chocolate into small chunks.
5. Add the chopped chocolate to the cookie dough and stir through until evenly distributed.
6. Line two large baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
7. Use a large ice cream scoop (or three level tablespoons) to portion out your cookie dough, adding six scoops to each baking sheet, allowing plenty of room for the cookies to spread.
8. Place the portions of cookie dough into the fridge to chill for around 20-30 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
10. Bake your cookies in the oven for around 12-15 minutes until they are just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges. Note that your cookies will still feel soft when removed from the oven, but they will continue to cook on the tray for a few minutes after you remove them and will crisp up as they cool.
11. After around ten minutes, transfer the cookies onto cooling racks to cool completely.
This delicious cookie dough is perfect to make in advance and keep in the freezer until a cookie craving strikes! Simply follow the recipe up to step eight and then, once the cookie dough portions are nice and chilled, transfer them into a freezer bag and place in the freezer for up to three months. When you are ready to use them, simply place the frozen cookie dough portions onto a greaseproof paper-lined baking sheet and bake for around 15-17 minutes at 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Perfect bakery-style cookies whenever you want them!