FOR THE CAKE
420g Plain flour
2 1/2tsp Cinnamon
3/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 Baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
250g Blitzed walnuts
6 Large eggs
480g Caster sugar
450ml Sunflower oil
185g Grated carrots
185g Grated apple
FOR THE APPLES AND FILLING
245ml Double cream
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
220g Caster sugar
8 tbsp Cold water
Heaped tsp of salt
Three small apples with a stick poked in.
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FILLING
220g Cream cheese
750g Icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius
2. Line 4 8inch cake tins.
3. Sift the flour, cinnamon, salt and raising agents together.
4. Then add the walnuts and mix.
5. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and sugar for a minute.
6. Now add the oil to the sugar and egg and beat for 30 sec.
7. Add in the carrot to the wet bowl then add in the dry ingredients.
8. Pour evenly between the prepared tins and bake for 25 -28 min
9. Next make the caramel by boiling the sugar and water in a pot with a lid over a medium high heat DO NOT STUR THE SUGAR boil until it becomes a dark amber colour.
10. Now add the cream and salt and mix.
11. Leave cool for 5min before dipping the apples.
12. Save the rest of the caramel for the filling and drip.
13. Next to make the icing beat the butter and cheese together for 5min then slowly add the sugar in bits mixing in between.
14. Once your cake is cooled level the top of the cakes.
15. Spread a layer of icing on the top of a layer and drizzle some caramel and repeat, for the top cake turn it upside down. Spread a thin layer of icing on the top and sides of the cake as this is a semi-naked cake, leave in the fridge for 30 min. Next fill a piping bag with the caramel and run it around the edge pressing at different pressures then fill in the middle.
16. Now place your caramel apples in a cluster in the corner.