FOR THE CAKE
400 g Unsalted Butter/Stork
400 g Light Brown Sugar
7 Large Eggs
400 g Self Raising Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
4 tbsp Whole Milk
FOR THE CARAMEL BUTTERCREAM
250 g Unsalted Butter (room temp)
600 g Icing Sugar
175 g Caramel (carnations)
Pinch Sea Salt
200 g Caramel (carnations)
Pinch Sea Salt
For the Cake
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line three 20cm/8inch sandwich cake tins with baking parchment.
2. Add the butter and the light brown sugar and beat them together until they become light and fluffy.
3. Add in and mix the flour, eggs and baking powder.
4. Divide the mixture between the three tins and bake for 25-30min until the cakes are golden.
5. Then leave the cake to cool for around 10 min. Then, remove from the tin and leave to cool fully.
For the Decoration
1. Beat the butter with a mixer until smooth. Then add the icing sugar slowly until fully combined. Keep beating the buttercream until it gets fluffy.
2. Add the caramel and a pinch of sea salt and beat again.
3. When the cakes get cooled, spread some of the buttercream on the top of the first cake. Then, add the second cake on top, and again some buttercream. Add the last layer.
4. Save some buttercream to cover the top and the sides. Do one or more layers and smooth it over with a spatula.
6. In a bowl add the caramel and a pinch of salt and beat the mixture.
7. Put in the microwave for about 10 seconds and then beat again.
8. Put the mixture in piping bags and start adding it to the top of the cake.
9. Put in the fridge for about 15 minutes.